The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-a-note-about-ltc-from-one-who-is-on-that-11948422.aspx

Subject:  Re: LTC Date:  2/8/2000  12:12 PM
Author:  nwhalen Number:  2044 of 19222

Just a note about LTC from one who is on that road. I'm 56 and have been paying a nursing home $4,000 a month for the past 1.5 years for my 59 year old husband. I will never qualify for Medicaid. Most residents are on Medicaid but the level of care is the same for all. It is an excellent facility.

After an early retirement at 52, I went back to work to keep from touching the investments and from boredom.

And a bit of unsolicited advice, looking back, I should have purchased LTC insurance because Parkinson's and Alzheimer's was prevalent in his family. By the time he was diagnosed with PD, we couldn't get insurance. Thus, I would suggest if PD or AD is historical (mother, father, grandparents) in the family, get the insurance for sure. Or if either disease is suspected, get the insurance before diagnosis is made by a medial doctor.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us