The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-retired-last-year-and-today-wanted-to-go-11949253.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/8/2000  1:59 PM
Author:  RobbiePat Number:  3390 of 794738

I just retired last year, and today wanted to go back and read soem of this thread which I really enjoyed. Believe it or not, I was too busy before.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. In my case, my job was being moved to headquarters, half way around the Washington beltway. I opted to retire early rather than face five years of commuting. I'm 55, have been retired for a year, and will say that there is a period of adjustment that I'll bet a lot of us have to go through. Most of us have tied a lot of our self worth up in our job. To me it was a challenge to face up to this big change and move forward.

In the early stages I thought the idea of teleworking made a lot of sense. I guess I have been too busy to pursue this idea however, and presently I have begun to wonder if I could find the time for any of the normal available jobs I have heard about. At last count I was the CEO on about 14 jobs, some trivial, some valuable, but all a lot more fun whe