The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-retired-last-year-and-today-wanted-to-go-11949253.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unwritten Rules of Wage Slavery Date:  2/8/2000  1:59 PM
Author:  RobbiePat Number:  3390 of 734759

I just retired last year, and today wanted to go back and read soem of this thread which I really enjoyed. Believe it or not, I was too busy before.

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. In my case, my job was being moved to headquarters, half way around the Washington beltway. I opted to retire early rather than face five years of commuting. I'm 55, have been retired for a year, and will say that there is a period of adjustment that I'll bet a lot of us have to go through. Most of us have tied a lot of our self worth up in our job. To me it was a challenge to face up to this big change and move forward.

In the early stages I thought the idea of teleworking made a lot of sense. I guess I have been too busy to pursue this idea however, and presently I have begun to wonder if I could find the time for any of the normal available jobs I have heard about. At last count I was the CEO on about 14 jobs, some trivial, some valuable, but all a lot more fun when you can choose the schedule. Presently I am: investment analyst and financial adviser, Office/Software/and personal computer manager, tax engineer and prepairer, auto mechanic and service manager, bill payer, dishwasher, cook, dietician (high fiber low fat to lower cholesterol), food shopper, home project planner and worker, home handyman, housecleaner, wood fire person, and solar energy manager.

As a 15 th job, I am presently working on a project that will improve investment choices for school teachers. I think the world would assign a total value to the above at more than my previous salary, especially if I include my retirement annuity. After the transition, retirement can be fun.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us