The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/starting-a-roth-11950897.aspx

Subject:  Starting a Roth Date:  2/8/2000  5:53 PM
Author:  Garp15 Number:  18870 of 86153

Okay, I gotta ask what is probably a stupid question, but, hey, that's me. At least I'm consistent.

I just started my Roth account, for 1999. Since you are limited to $2,000, it seems you are limited on what you can do. Is there a strategy on how to start, then when to add new stocks or buy the same stocks each year?

Q: Am I better off buying just a couple of stocks, split between the $2000 or buy more companies and less shares?

Q: Is it better to buy a few shares at higher prices/share or a lot of shares of lower priced stocks?

What I did do was buy 2 stocks (Home Depot & Globix) for my '99 contribution. Now, I want to make my Year 2000 contribution. Am I better off buy more of each, then new stocks next year, or buy new ones this year?

That's enough questions for this post.

I am reading TMF Investment Guide, but I'm not done yet. It's slow reading, as I take time off to consider what I have done in the past, then I beat my head against the wall for a few minutes.

Thanks!

Mike

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us