The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-understand-your-relatives-want-to-stay-in-thier-11951703.aspx

Subject:  Re: Assets & Long Term Care Date:  2/8/2000  7:39 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  2067 of 19326

I understand your relatives want to stay in thier house - it has been their home, it represents security. However it sounds like one of your relatives will soon leave the house. Quite often when the first leaves, soon after the second leaves also. Keeping a house takes effort.

Another option is to enter a retirement home. These are not in every city, but they are arround. These are not assisted living or nursing homes.

The funding of this situation might well be paid for by selling the house out right and then taking maybe 8% of the assest base. That is a rather high amount, but the your parents probably won't be needing much money in 25 years.

In my area of the country, reverse mortgages have much higher interest rates, closing costs, etc. then conventonal mortgages. All this translates into a worse deal.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us