The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Cash consideration on 1099-B Date:  2/9/2000  5:06 PM
Author:  comptips Number:  28072 of 127613

Last year when VOD acquired ATI, the new combined stock is worth twice the number of ATI shares, this was a tax-free stock swap. BUT I also got a $9/share (based on ATI shares) "CASH CONSIDERATION" which I received and cashed it. It is NOT a cash in lieu of fractional shares, I am sure of this.
Then I received a 1099-B form listing the CASH CONSIDERATION amount as Gross Proceeds, with an empty 'Date of Sale' box. How do I report this on Sch. D?, Was it a capital distribution?, a cash in lieu? or a non-taxable proceed?. What is my cost basis if it was a capital gain. Please help & thanks a bunch.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us