The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: another cost basis question... Date:  2/10/2000  1:07 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  28175 of 127613

This is an easy one, so I might as well answer. If the sale and purchases are all in the same year, any gains must be short term. So, on Form 1040, Schedule D, Line 1, column (b), you put "Various." Your total cost goes in column (e).

The reason it's easy is that you are selling all the shares at once, and on a short term basis.

You would split out the gains if some were short term and some long term, but they aren't.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us