The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: State tax question Date:  2/12/2000  12:36 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  28421 of 127549

<<I have a confusing tax situation (confusing to me, that is...)

I lived and worked in Massachusetts from 1/1/99 - 9/1/99.
For the remaining three months, I worked in Wisconsin, but the paychecks came from my temp agency (located in Utah).>>

But while the checks "came" from Utah, I'm guessing that they will reflect that the wages were "earned" in WI.

<<I'll have to file a return for MA. I would guess that I would also have to file a return for WI, since I was working there. >>

Right you are. You'll likely file as a part year resident in both states.

<<But since I was paid by a corporation in UT, do I have to file there, too?>>

I seriously doubt it. Again, look at the W-2 that was issued by this company. I'd be very surprised if the "state wages" section reflected anything other than WI.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us