The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE


Subject:  Re: Planning to Retire Oversees Date:  2/16/2000  8:54 PM
Author:  napo00 Number:  4101 of 876076

retiring overseas:

1. You will be considered a taxable person in France if you live there more than 182 nights per year, and therefore, you will pay taxes there for every dollar you make anywhere in the world, no matter if you're a French citizen or not. Also you will pay taxes there if your main economic interests (farm, etc.) are seeded there. If you have already paid taxes in the states for any income you may earn, you can discount those taxes in France. If you find that US taxes are expensive (as I have read here in some ads) wait until you see the French deferring is a MUST when you're moving to a country that taxes $4 in every gallon of gas. In addition to tax deferring, we find that creating a small co. from where you can invest your money is slightly better than investing it personally..... specially if you can save money in a long term basis.

2. The euro is really cheap now, (0.98 per dollar... 1,16 per dollar one year ago), and we expect it to raise until 1,08-1,10 per dollar by dec 31, 2000 ...assuming that you're moving there definitely, i'd change my dollars into euros before summer.... but this is just a forecast..... (meaning that you can blame me if i fail if you're ready to send me a bottle of burgundy/bourgogne if i succeed :)) good luck! R.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us