The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Roth IRA and Tax Return Date:  2/17/2000  5:46 PM
Author:  progmtl Number:  19210 of 88031

I have a simple Roth IRA question, which someone can probably answer in a few words. When I began asking my discount broker about Roth IRAs, she actually told me that you can contribute pre-tax earnings, which I know to be false for Roths. I subsequently stopped asking her questions :).

My question is this: When you file a tax return (standard 1040), do you indicate on it somewhere what your Roth IRA contribution for the given year was?

I am inclined to guess that you do, which explains why you can still make a contribution for year X up until April 15th of the year X+1.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us