The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-to-late-at-night-to-tackle-your-questionsbut-12006502.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retired, Now What? Date:  2/18/2000  1:36 AM
Author:  mepiper Number:  2297 of 19371

Its to late at night to tackle your questions,but here goes. Money in IRA and 401's ---you do not pay capitiol gains, they are taxed at at whatever your tax rate is when you take a distribution. If I understood your question, you plann to rollover your 401k into your ira. If that is correct and you plan on selling off shares as they go up why not leave them in your 401 that way you won't have to pay commisions to a broker,You would just call and have shares sold as you want to. next--- you like the idea of Intel, microsoft, etc' so have you considered a tech. mutual fund? There are several good no load funds and you would't have to spend your retirement watching and researching stocks all the time. That gets old when you have time now to enjoy life. Or you could follow one of the FOOLS ports. you need to take your time or you may end up making mistakes that may be hard to over come in retirement. Take the time to educate yourself first then see which way you want to go.You might consider index funds, but i would look to diversey into for instance, extended market, s&p 500, Naq.100, mid cap, small cap, etc. Post if you have more questions, I will do my best to help as may others. Regards mepiper
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us