The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-grandmothers-income-was-dividends-from-oil-and-12014863.aspx

Subject:  Re: Looking for Equities that pay Dividends Date:  2/19/2000  5:03 PM
Author:  blgriffin Number:  19284 of 76398

My Grandmother's income was dividends from oil and utility companies. When she died I reveiwed her cash journal and saw monthly checks from these companies averaging $1,500. And these checks arrived monthly. Growing up my Grandma gave me shares of utility stocks (Southern Co., Niagra Mohawk) and said this was for my retirement. I was 10 and did not understand but gladly took the shares. Unfortuantely I totaled my parents car when I was 18 and my dad sold all my stock. This was 30 years ago. When I learned about DRIP investing in the early 90's I started automatic monthly investments with 6 utility companies who pay dividends quarterly at different times. When I do start taking cash dividends (not reinvesting) I'll receive 2 checks a month. I'm on target to receive $1,000 monthly after 10 more years of investing. I have averaged a 6% dividiend yield since owning these stocks but the best part are those utility stocks I own that have increased in value just like S&P. These stocks do appreciate over time. (TXU,CPL,WEC,DUK,SO,CSR).

Everyone at my age goes after growth stocks. I invest all my tax deferred savings with technology, internet, and growth funds and my returns are very high. But I'll never forget those figures in my Grandma's journal and must follow a tradition I was taught as a kid and but dividend stoks.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us