The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Spouse death; are 2 returns needed? Date:  2/21/2000  10:45 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  29526 of 127642

<< My father died on Feb. 02, 1999. This was before the 1998 tax returns were due ( April 15). My mother filed a joint return, stating on the form that her husband had deceased. Since my father lived a little over one month in 1999, and therefore had some limited income via social security, his retirement plan, and interest income, how must my mother file?
The IRS already knows that my father deceased. So, can she file her tax return including my father's income, or must 2 forms be filed - one for my father and one for my mother? It's a little confusing. >>

Assuming that your mother did not remarry in 1999, she files a joint return, which includes the personal exemption and income of your father.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us