The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/contribution-limits-12026903.aspx

Subject:  Contribution Limits Date:  2/22/2000  3:09 PM
Author:  txbuckeye Number:  19398 of 74759

Let me apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. I read the entire "All About IRA's" pages and did a quick scan a few pages back on this board. Unfortunately, I can't think of a search criteria that would limit the hits to less than 10,000 or so. So here goes:

I still am not certain what I can and cannot do without suffering the wrath of the IRS. I work and contribute the maximum allowable to my company's 401-k. My spouse does not work. We file jointly and our AGI is below the $150,000 Roth IRA limit.

I THINK that this is what I can do with respect to ROTH/Deductible IRAs:

I canNOT contribute deductible money to a "regular" IRA.
AND
I CAN contribute up to $2000 to a ROTH IRA.
AND
My spouse CAN contribute up to $2000 to EITHER a Roth or deductible IRA, but not both. If it is contributed to a traditional IRA, it is deductible now.

All of this is per year of course. I am uncertain about 2 items: First, can I contribute to the Roth and my non-working spouse still contribute $2000? Second, can my non-working spouse contribute to a Roth if she has no earned income? I know a spouse without income can contribute to a regular IRA, but I couldn't figure out if they could do the same to a Roth.

Thanks for your patience.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us