The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/dugg-wrote-i-am-toying-with-the-idea-of-12037945.aspx

Subject:  Re: Motor Homes Date:  2/24/2000  8:52 AM
Author:  jpkiljan Number:  4800 of 840998

dugg wrote:

. . .
I am toying with the idea of selling my house in the next 3-5 years and driving around the country (and
Mexico) in a small (less than 30') motor home, staying in some places a few days, and in other places a
few months.

Hello Dugg,
This a good question to ask on the

rec.outdoors.rv-travel

newsgroup. I have followed these people for a couple of years and there is a wealth of information on what they call 'full-timers.' From what I can remember, the best size has to do whether you are travelling alone, with a spouse, or taking the grandkids on frequent, long trips. Set up a state of residence can make a difference, too. Some states charge very little for annual registration and others a lot.

As for my self, I am not retired yet (still trying to decide just when), but bought a used motor home in anticipation of retiring about three years ago. I decided anything over 20 feet was more of a hassle than needed. My 20 foot MH will park in a standard space in most National Park roadside pull-offs and campgrounds. Things bigger need a pull-through and life is more complicated. I see these things in Europe now and they are almost all of the 20' class. Still, if you are mostly staying in one place, the comforts of a larger MH may well be worth it.

Full-timers (and mostly full ti