The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Civil Service retirement income Date:  2/24/2000  10:37 AM
Author:  nspitnal Number:  2503 of 20640

Your taxperson is correct. The reason you want to make this calculation is that not all of your annuity is taxable. You are permitted to deduct what you contributed to your retirement plan. However your contribution must be prorated. This calculation is for your benefit. There is an IRS publication 575 that discusses this and includes a worksheet to make the calculation. See

Keep the worksheet from year to year to track the amount of contribution has been deducted.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us