The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Non-deductible IRA Contribution 1999 Date:  2/27/2000  12:43 PM
Author:  AJM3S Number:  30180 of 127513

I made a contribution to a non-deductible IRA for 1999. I wish to change this contribution to a Roth IRA.

I do not currently have a Roth IRA account established. Note: my income for 1998 was above the $160K (married filing jointly) income threshold for Roth-IRA contributions/conversions. Consequently, I was not able to participate in the Roth-IRA benefits.

Now, realizing I do not exceed income limits I believe I can simply establish a Roth IRA account since my income for 1999 will be below $160K threshold.

I shall also be contributing $2000/$2000 for both my wife and myself (in separate Roth-IRA accounts) for year 2000 with the intent of not exceeding income limits. If I do exceed limits for year 2000, can I transfer this specific contributions to my non-deductible IRA account at a later date (i.e before April 15th, 2001)?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us