The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA question Date:  3/3/2000  4:23 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  19775 of 88758

If you are not allowed, because of a high AGI, to
make contributions to a Roth, you can still keep the Roth you already have, open a non-deductible IRA and make $2000 annual contributions.
You will then have to file the annual form with your tax return stating what the basis of your non-deductible IRA is, as well as the total value of the IRA. When you withdraw, you pay tax on the portion which does not relate to your contribution. In other words, if your basis is $20000 and the value of the account $40000, you will pay tax on half the money withdrawn. Regards, Chris
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us