The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  debit interest from margin Date:  3/6/2000  2:15 PM
Author:  chriscs Number:  31029 of 127616

I'm trying to figure out how to get a credit for the debit interest I paid for having stock on margin. I don't know if I should fill out form 4952. I had more margin interest than investment income from interest and dividends so it looks like I have to. But is margin interest considered a passive activity? There's something about form 8582. Do I need to fill that one out? When I went through form 4952, the last line said to put in the smaller amount from line 3 or 6. The amount would be 0 because I didn't have investment property. That's what makes me think I shouldn't be filling this form out. If somebody could help me I would appreciate it. I'm very confused and it seems like it shouldn't be this difficult. Thanks,
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us