The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks C / Celera

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/personally-though-i-wished-the-government-and-12139219.aspx

Subject:  Re: CRA News from Washington Post Date:  3/6/2000  2:28 PM
Author:  Manny00 Number:  6430 of 36502

Personally, though I wished the government and Celera might come to an agreement, I didn't really think it would happen. The egos involved, on both sides, are enormous, and the number of players on the public side is just too many to come to a concensus. Celera has no choice but to reject the offer; they have to make money to cover their costs, and frankly I'm pleased that they're looking out for their shareholders, as they should be. The government has, IMHO, effectively shot itself in the foot. They have everything to lose by taking a hard line, and everything to gain by working out a deal to save face, and more importantly, ensure the future funding of public projects. Taking a hard line will, IMO, not stop the advance of the technology, nor the leadership postion of Celera, simply because getting to the finish line is perceived by the public, and myself, to be a step closer to living a better life in my old age. In the end, the hope for a cure for disease (which will be seen by the public as the true mission) will always win over government intervention. Just my .02, which is now only .01 split adjusted.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us