The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/topic-suggestion-for-pixy-12139467.aspx

Subject:  Topic suggestion for Pixy Date:  3/6/2000  2:56 PM
Author:  telone Number:  2729 of 19222

One topic might be the nexis of Medicare and private health insurance. Before one retires many have employer health nsurance. After retirement and once one commences on S.S., even if one has "employer granted retiree insurance," Medicare becomes "first-pay" and the employer-retiree health insurance second pay. I would be interested in knowing how this changes the health care for such an individual. Are doctors and hospitals likely to provide equal to or lesser quality of care because of the spector of Medicare first pay. For instance, my brother was advised to get a pacemaker BEFORE he retired because the model "approved" by Medicare (available to a "retired" person") was the lesser quality model. What about actual stories of the medigap insurance doing what its supposed to do? Also, for those folks with US Govt-sponsored (Federal Health Benefits)retiree insurance or private company-sponsored retiree health insurance, is this really a "good" deal?
I will fit into the USG retiree category and I am frightened that there still will be big beneficiary gaps and/or that the medical profession (doctors or hospitals) will consider the person on Medicare as a second class patient. Thx.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us