The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ira-transfer-then-early-distribution-12141098.aspx

Subject:  IRA transfer then early distribution Date:  3/6/2000  6:50 PM
Author:  melanieuy Number:  31047 of 120799

I know, all of my postings here indicate that I have not been the wrong kind of financial "fool." But reading these boards is helping to get me back on track with my finances -- thank you all!

I have one more tax question:
Last year I transferred all of the money in my traditional IRA account (at Fidelity) to a new Roth IRA account at a different company (Citibank). The funds were transferred from Fidelity directly to Citibank (I never received any check).

But three months later I was stupid and withdrew the amount in the new Citibank IRA account. It is an early distrubution, and I have to pay tax and penalties, I know.

My question is, do I also have to pay for the initial conversion from the traditional IRA to the Roth one? Where would I report this on my tax return? I contacted Fidelity, and they said there was no distribution involved and that's why they didn't send a 1099-R. The 1099-R from Citibank gives me the info I need to report the early distribution, but not the conversion to a Roth.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us