The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date:  3/6/2000  8:19 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  31056 of 127753

<< Last year I began working for a company based in Georgia. I maintain a residence in California but only get to go home once every five weeks for a week. To make things more interesting my actual job sites have placed me in 15-20 different states and I have never actually worked in Georgia or visited the office there. My question is simply this "To whom do I send my state taxes?". When I was hired I was sent a Georgia witholding form and I indicated that I wanted no deductions because I expected to have no Georgia tax liability. I had just planned on having to pay California taxes, but now I'm really nervous. Was I wrong or can I start sleeping easy again? >>

You're a full-year California resident and will pay CA tax on all your income. You don't need to worry about GA just because your employer is there. It sounds like you bounced around enough not to have to worry about the states where you physically worked, but without all the details it's impossible to say for sure. I would suggest you not worry about it, but keep your detailed records of your travels should questions arise.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us