The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Capital Gains Taxes?? Date:  3/7/2000  10:48 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  31127 of 127747

<<I currently live and work in Switzerland, but am still a US citizen.>>

Then you are required to report and pay taxes on your worldwide income.

<< Is there some sort of strategy I can use to minimize or eliminate paying US capital gains taxes on my standard, non-retirement investments?>>

Not necessarily on your capital gains. But you might be able to reduce your "other" taxes and income (thereby reducing indirectly your taxes on capital gains) by using the Foreign Earned Income exclusion and/or the Foreign Tax Credit.

You really want to read IRS Publication 593 at the IRS web site for additional information.

TMF Taxes

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us