The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: debit interest from margin Date:  3/7/2000  10:53 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  31128 of 127753

<<What constitutes investment income? Is it only dividends and interest? My stocks don't give dividends and I don't keep much cash in my account so I have more debit interest than those types of income. Does investment income include cash made from stock sales? >>

You might want to read more about investment interest issues in my article on that very subject in the Taxes FAQ area.

Generally, investment income includes interest, dividends, net short term gains, and net elected long term gains.

If you determine that your investment expenses exceed your net investment income, you'll really want to complete Form 4952 in order compute your investment interest carryover to year 2000.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us