The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks C / Celera

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-what-do-you-suggest-let-everybody-use-the-12148520.aspx

Subject:  Re: CRA News from Washington Post Date:  3/7/2000  3:17 PM
Author:  lesha1 Number:  6519 of 36502

Well, what do you suggest? Let everybody use the database that they spent millions obtaining, and have them pay % from all profits they make? This would be a good way to go with any discovery, but not this. Do you really think that they will be able to patent all the drugs that were made using their database? How in the world they will be able to prove that company that made the drug used THEIR database, and not Human Genome Sciences' database, for that matter? What I am saying is that it is not possible to have a share of the profits from "all the drugs that were made using known DNA sequences" - even if they sequence it first. They will make money on people accessing the database, as well as patents on genes and drugs designed from those patents. Also, the was they are sequencing genes is quite different from other companies. the Shotgun method is much more capable - once they are done doing human genome, they can sequence other genomes. Human genome is one of the most complicated (hey, we are a result of millions of years of evolution after all:) - and it will take them VERY short time to sequence it. For example, they can probably sequence base pairs for wheat, rice, watermelons - any populpar crop - in less then a year. We are talking about a machine that is capable of sequencing ANY genome VERY fast. I bet farmers will pay hundreds of millions of dollars for cow's genome. Note, that Celera is a sister company of Perkin Elmer - people who make $300,000 gene sequencing machines. They "sell" them to Celera. They are the only ones that have the technology at this time. They will assure that noone else has the same capabilities Celera does. Tony White (I think that's the name) - Perkin Elmer's CEO is a very smart man - I suggest you read an article or two about the way he reorganized PE and created Celera. VERY smart man.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us