The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-images-i-havent-heard-of-any-retirement-12150805.aspx

Subject:  Re: retirement living Date:  3/7/2000  8:14 PM
Author:  Chipsboss Number:  2774 of 19257

for images:

I haven't heard of any retirement communities especially for single older adults. Have you? My guess would be that they are made up mostly of apartments or condominiums suitable for a single person, living alone. A single family house is preferable to me, for privacy, control of the premises, and avoiding rent increases. From what I hear, a house is probably going to cost more than an apartment but less than a condominium. However that may be, cost is not the primary basis for my decision; I want some comfort and even luxury in my retirement and I can afford it.

A retirement community, particularly an age-restricted retirement community, sounds good to me. An environment without children is one without noisy children, and I'm certainly ready for that. I'm 60, single, retired for over six years. Since I'm better off financially than I ever was while working, I can afford to live in a more prosperous community. (Don't let people tell you that your income tax bracket will be lower when you retire. If your investments work out, the tax bracket will be higher.)

I have bought a new house, scheduled for completion in May, in an active retirement community. The age restriction there says that each house must have someone at least 55 years old living in it, and minors can visit but not move in. The community will be made up mostly of married couples, I'm sure, but life's like that. I don't think I would like living in a place that catered to single people.

Chips, packing to move
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us