The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks C / Celera

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lesha1-i-assume-you-are-responding-to-me-you-12153999.aspx

Subject:  Re: CRA News from Washington Post Date:  3/8/2000  8:36 AM
Author:  mcraney Number:  6606 of 36502

Lesha1, I assume you are responding to me.

You have eloquently posted the positional rationale for proprietary vs. open technologies. The problem is, that as clear and as obvious as that rationale seems, the market over the long term rewards the open position rather than the proprietary. There are dozens of examples of this, you know them as well as I.

I am well aware of Perkin Elmer, which is an old-line,
PROPRIETARY techology scientific computer manufacturer which either reorganized in bankruptcy or just avoided it after years of red ink. Very adept, but its hard to change years of habit.

BTW, it would be of questionable legality for PE to refuse to sell to Celera's competitors.

Anyway, the news reports of the last few days made me question management strategy, which would exclude CRA
from RB status, so I am out at 235. Time will tell if I am a Fool or a fool. We can talk morality and how the government should or shouldn't get involved in business until we're blue in the face, but reality is that if CRA ticks off certain government mucketymucks, the gov't will find a way to upset the apple cart. They own the economy -- we just play in it.

Mike
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us