The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: retirement investment strategy Date:  3/9/2000  11:19 AM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  19937 of 88543

ARe you over 59-1/2 so you are able to take distributions whenever you like? If not, you could need to invest differently for now.

See TMFPixy's retirement portfolios from the link below for TMF investment recommendations. Fools would suggest only enough fixed income investments to cover your short term needs (3 to 5 yrs expenses) with most in stocks to provide inflation protection.

Assuming your income tax rate will be lower later, you will be best off to have your growth investments in the tax deferred account. However, if you are under 62, your tax rate could go up when you begin collecting social security. Also, if you have other income that allows more options, investing after tax for growth gives the advantage of paying taxes at capital gains rates. And your heirs will get stepped up cost basis on your death. The tax deferred profits are eventually taxed at regular, not capital gains rates.

Just a few thoughts on the subject. The right answer depends on your exact circumstances.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us