The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Under Payment Penalty Help! Date:  3/12/2000  9:58 PM
Author:  vkmath Number:  31572 of 127543

It is my understanding that a waiver can be requested for under payment. Would the two reasons sited below be valid reasons to have the penalty waived or reduced:

1) My 1999 taxes withheld were less than the prior year's taxes paid because I took a new job in 1999 that paid about $20,000 per year less than my 1998 salary. This is why my '99 withholdings were not as much as my '98 taxes paid.

2) I converted my $48,000 IRA to a Roth in 1999...this is primarily where the '99 taxes due (underpayment) stem from.

Thanks in advance!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us