The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jtmitch-wrote-ltlti-would-just-add-that-12213925.aspx

Subject:  Re: Service Pension & Social Security? Date:  3/16/2000  8:41 AM
Author:  jtmitch Number:  2928 of 19257

Jtmitch wrote:

<<I would just add that Medicare tax still applies (at least it does to my military pension). It is approximately
1/2%.>>

Pixy responded :

Hmmm... I would check that out if I were you. First, Medicare taxation is 1.45%, not a half. Second, it only occurs
when you are working, not retired and drawing a pension. I've been drawing my military pension since 1986, and I
assure you no part of it goes to FICA. Methinks something else is at work in your situation.

Regards..Pixy

jtmitch responds to Pixy...

Yes, something is at work in my situation.... I got the basic fact wrong (that Medicare is deducted from (military) pensions) AND I got the amount of Medicare deduction wrong. However, I will point out that I did spell my name correctly.

jtmitch

PS I feel like you have given me a 1.45% pay raise; I guess I must have fallen asleep during a retirement seminar and dreamed that I heard that and it stayed with me for the past four years. Thanks for setting me straight.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us