The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Multiple states question Date:  3/17/2000  12:13 AM
Author:  vkurup Number:  31926 of 127549


I asked this question a few months ago, but I wasn't specific enough, so I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right page...

I'm a permanent MA resident. I worked there from Jan-Jun as a W2 employee.

I then became an independent contractor doing temporary work in WI. I worked for clinics and hospitals in WI. The clinics and hospitals payed my temp agency (located in UT) and the temp agency paid me.

The 1099-MISC Form that I received has the payer's address as UT.

Where do I pay my state taxes?

I'm planning to file as a full year resident in MA. I would think that I would file as a non-resident in WI and deduct the WI tax I pay on my MA form. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your consideration!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us