The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Multiple states question Date:  3/17/2000  5:48 AM
Author:  shortamzn Number:  31930 of 127637

Based on the premise that you are indeed a legal MA resident, and that the work you did in WI will not become permanent, you should file in MA only, reporting all your wages there.

One could hop around the country and technically owe taxes in several states for income earned. Unless you get W-2's indicating taxable income earned in each, life is too short to hassle with all the returns and taking the credits for those taxes on your resident state return.

Since you received a 1099 from your temp agency, if it was me I'd report it all in MA. Hope you covered your tax liability in MA by paying estimated taxes.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us