The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  roth/IRS question Date:  3/17/2000  9:50 PM
Author:  jeank Number:  31990 of 127613

I just learned that the $2000 Roth contribution I made for 1999 is invalid because of my 1999 AGI. This $2000 is now worth $3200 and is part of an account at a mutual fund that also holds my 1998 contribution. If I remove this $3200 from the account, I know I must report the $1200 earnings as regular income. But, is there any penalty? I have read a significant amount of IRS literature on the Roth, but cannot find a specific answer to this. I called the IRS, but they do not answer Roth questions on the phone. You must give the question to their representative and wait for a Roth specialist to call you back. I have been waiting.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us