The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: This years losses Date:  3/18/2000  12:26 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  32041 of 127616

<<I've had quite a large amount of losses this year (2000), but a lot of gains last year (1999). My
question then is do I have a way of applying this year's losses against last years gains?>>

As RooCat points out, you can not "carryback" capital losses. They can only be carried forward.

You might want to read the article about "netting" capital gains and losses in the Taxes FAQ for additional information on this issue.

TMF Taxes
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us