The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Non-custodial Parents!!! Date:  3/18/2000  10:36 PM
Author:  JOTaxQ Number:  32091 of 127613

I am wretchedly confused.
Someone please help.

I am the non-custodial parent to my son who is 17 months old. He lives with mom, though we share joint legal custody.

I pay monthly child support and the only other expenses i have for him (besides toys and clothes) are his prescribed othorpedic shoes and related material.

His mom has informed me that she will claim him as a dependent this year.

Do i have a right to make a mention of the child support payments in preparing my taxes?

Do i have the right to claim him next year?

How do i know if i provide more than 50% of his income?? This 50% thing is so ambiguous...I need definition here !

Please help me out --

Much thanks to whomever can help....
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us