The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Non-custodial Parents!!! Date:  3/18/2000  10:49 PM
Author:  shortamzn Number:  32092 of 127747

If both you and your ex-wife provide over half the support of your son and your ex-wife has custody of your son for more than half the year, then she can take the child's dependency exemption.

If your son lives with your ex-wife again this year, you can claim the dependency exemption if your ex-wife signs an agreement that she will not claim the exemption.

Thanks for being a good father and paying your child support on time, but you can't deduct it for tax purposes. Good luck.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us