The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Wife's short-lived real estate career Date:  3/19/2000  8:21 AM
Author:  hghcpa Number:  32101 of 127638

My wife has had a full-time job in accounting for many years. In 1999 she decided to take real-estate classes and get her license (which she did). She signed up with an agency, had a couple of open houses, then decided to transfer her license to the state holding agency since she wasn't quite ready to jump in. She is still paying fees and taking additional training to keep this certification and is still working in accounting full time to this day.

My question is, can we deduct her expenses for real estate training and business costs associated with this endeavor even though she is in hiatus? And, what IRS form(s)are required?

The courses taken in order to meet the minimum requirements for a new trade or profession would not be deductible.

Once the requirements are met and she was licensed then her costs associated with the open houses, etc would be deductible on schedule C.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us