The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: non-compete income Date:  3/19/2000  8:55 AM
Author:  hghcpa Number:  32109 of 127616

But if you are simply receiving income for your agreement not to compete, it's generally simply ordinary income and should be included in your W-2.

If you are not an employee then there is no reporting requirement for the payor - IE it is not a capital transaction reported on 1099-b nor is it a "service rendered" reported on 1099-misc.

Although some payors do report it as "other income" IMO it is not required.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us