The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Do I need to file TWO state returns? Date:  3/19/2000  9:51 AM
Author:  neilandrews Number:  32110 of 127533

I moved from New York State to Wisconsin during the course of last year. I have completed my IT-203 (Nonresident/Part-Year Resident) for New York.
My question is, do I need to also file a state return for Wisconsin? I ask this because as a student, I did not earn any job-related income from Wisconsin in 1999, and I paid estimated taxes to the state of New York. My only other income for 1999 comes from dividends on stocks, interest (on cash reserves in my investment portfolio) and some capital gains, all of which I reported on both my federal and New York state forms.
So, do I need to file for Wisconsin, where I've lived since July '99, or can I escape from this potential requirement? Thanks Fools!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us