The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/smitty-my-fiance-and-i-just-opened-roths-for-12238518.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to open Roth IRA Date:  3/20/2000  11:18 AM
Author:  EllenE Number:  20285 of 76418

smitty,

My fiance and I just opened Roths for ourselves. He opened his through Fidelity, since he already had a money market account with them. He can invest in mutual funds or stocks. He's found, though, that the price for investing in non-Fidelity funds (like the Vanguard S&P 500) is really outrageous. He's not too happy with that aspect.

I opened mine through Schwab. I can invest in individual stocks or mutual funds as well. Schwab has some interesting portfolios I'm looking into. Since I haven't really done anything with it yet, I can't tell you what I think of their services.

When you open your Roth, your money will go into a money market fund. You don't need to decide right away how to invest it (I'm still in the decision phase myself.) I would open your accounts as soon as possible, though--remember, if you open your Roth before April 17, you can put in your $2000 for 1999 as well as your $2000 for 2000.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us