The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-what-is-your-four-letter-type-infj-2which-of-12238808.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retire Early Personality Study Date:  3/20/2000  11:55 AM
Author:  hocus Number:  6503 of 749271

1) What is your four letter type?

INFJ

2)Which of the choices below best describes you?

C) I'm not retired, but I'm sure I'd like it if I were retired. I feel a need to add here, if ever I say that I didn't like retirement and want to go back to the corporate world, you'll know that the Blue Meanies have captured me and are forcing me to say these awful things. Also, I'm part of that difficult group that defines "retired" as continuing to work, just harder and for less pay.

What a great topic! I much enjoyed intercst's descriptions of the Stalinist techniques used by corporations trying to employ these tests to their manipulative advantage. Whenever someone objects to an argument that is "judgmental," I am tempted to note that "It's my personality. I can't do anything about it!"

It's not the fault of the test, though, that people misuse it. I've found Myers Briggs to be of great value in trying to understand why some people can never "get" something that I'm trying to describe (or why I fail to "get" things obvious to others). The 16 categories probably don't cover ever quirk possible in human nature, but they cover a surprisingly large amount of ground.

It does appear that there are certain personality types more drawn to Retire Early ideas than others (lots of introverts out there talking to strangers on a public message board!). We should not assume, though, that types not well represented at this time will not be drawn to the message as it becomes better known.

My type (INFJ), for example, seeks out "causes" to give life meaning. That's why money had no meaning for me before I discovered these principles. A bank balance was just a bunch of numbers. But change the purpose of saving from "being rich" or "being secure" to "being independent," and an INFJ becomes not just a follower, but a passionate one.

I think we can use people's designations to gain insight into their posts. For example, intercst is a "INTJ" in contrast to my "INFJ." It's that "T" in the third slot that explains why he has so much more money than me. And, if I may suggest so, it's probably the "F" in the third slot than explains all the exclamation points in my posts!

Anyway, it's just like an INFJ to not be able to answer any question, even a simple survey, in two paragraphs or less. Don't blame me, my personality made me do it!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us