The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/estimated-taxes-12241756.aspx

Subject:  Estimated Taxes Date:  3/20/2000  6:00 PM
Author:  conick Number:  32245 of 121461

Im fairly new to investing (lucky someone told me about the Fool) so dont laugh too hard. I thought I came up with this brilliant idea. I said to myself,
"Self, why don't you claim a large amount of exemptions on your W-4 and invest the difference (low risk)? Why give the Uncle Sam my money now, when I can earn interest on it and pay later?"
So I listened to myself and claimed "9" on my W-4. I get very little taken out of my paycheck. Great Deal.

At this time I didnt know about something called "Estimated Taxes." After reading Roy Lewis' article and the Tax FAQ I realized I may have really screwed up with my plan.
Roy said:
"Uncle Sam is looking for at least 90% of your current year taxes in the form of withholding or estimated tax payments."

It seems that not only did I not originate my wonderful plan, but Uncle Sam has already closed the door on it.

One more thing: I have no capital gains as of yet, and don't plan any this year (Buy and Hold, Baby :) ).
Does estimated taxes apply to me even though I don't have Capital Gains? I've been doing this since January, what do I do now?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us