The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tax-effects-on-stock-trades-12248124.aspx

Subject:  Tax effects on stock trades Date:  3/21/2000  2:12 PM
Author:  CheeseBurger Number:  32342 of 121323

Hi all,

Please forgive the elementary question - it's been a long time since I had a chance to visit..

Could someone steer me towards a FAQ (I'm having trouble finding it - sorry) which answers questions regarding tax implications when buying or selling shares through a typical discount broker account? I need to start refreshing myself again with even the most basic needed knowledge regarding both taxable & IRA(Roth) accounts. (Work's been very busy).

One of my questions is: Although I understand the difference between short & long term periods regarding buying & selling, (depending on whether you profited or lost) I need to know how this same issue compares to shareholdings when in a Roth account. Or does it even matter at all when I trade when with a Roth?

Basically I have a stock which I bought in 7/99 (in the Roth) which turned out to be a loser so far & I'm wondering if it matters whether I sell it -so to buy something different- before or after the year-&-1-day period. I don't think so but I just want to be sure I'm not overlooking or forgetting anything.

Sorry for being long-winded

Thanks very much
CB

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us