The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Effect on Roth IRA when leaving US? Date:  3/22/2000  9:48 AM
Author:  ez2bhard Number:  20363 of 87983


This gets a little technical , but here goes--If you contribute to a Roth as a US citizen and then give up your citizenship, as long as you maintain a social security # and US address, there should be no reason why you can't leave the Roth in the US--not sure about the legalities, but I know foreign citizens who set up Roths and other investment accounts while working on a temporary visa in the US. After the visa expires, they go back home and leave the account in the US. As far as transferring the Roth to a foreign country, keep in mind, many countries don't offer IRAs, or even mutual funds, so that may not be a possibility. I wouldn't let it deter me from contributing to a Roth but I would think "long and hard" before giving up US citizenship--if you've ever traveled abroad, then you know "theres no place like good ol' USA!!!!

Good Luck,

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us