The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/where-to-begin-12261454.aspx

Subject:  Where to begin? Date:  3/23/2000  3:33 AM
Author:  CaDreamer Number:  20413 of 75802

If this question is posted to the wrong board, please tell me where to go......but please be gentle, I bruise easy.

First, my experience with investing is non-existent. My tax guy instructed me to go out and set up a SEP and deposit 7,600.

I currently have an IRA (rollover from terminated job) sitting in a Schwab money market fund and earning essentially nothing. (I know, I know, I'm hanging my head.) Not knowing what else to do, I called Schwab and asked for their SEP info. It arrived today ... now I have more questions that before.

The forms seem easy enough but then what happens to the $$ I give them? Do I select individual stocks to purchase? Who holds/owns the stock, me or the SEP or Schwab? Do I buy into a fund of some kind? Can I invest that money in a DRIP? Does that make sense?

Then, I noticed the following statement on the form: "The assets of the plan shall be invested only in those investments available from time to time through Charles Schwab & Co......" but there's no indication what exactly those "investments" are/might be. In another place I find: "You may seek to have the cash balance in your account swept daily into a Schwab Money Market Fund of your choice and earn daily income.." Does this make sense?

Does Schwab have any investments that would be considered Foolish? Should I be looking elsewhere to set this up? If so, where?

I will be calling Schwab tomorrow and asking a bunch of stupid questions but, frankly, I will probably distrust the answers coming from the mouth of a salesman. Any direction you can give will be greatly appreciated.

CaD--coming very late to this investing thing......
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us