The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Get highest S.S. Date:  3/23/2000  10:10 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  20431 of 88538

Greetings, Baara, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Retired at 65 receiving S.S. on my quarters. Ex-husband (married to 20 years) started collecting at age 62 or 63. If he had retired at age 65, he would have
the highest amount S.S. allows. Am I allowed to receive the highest amount SS allows although he is not since he started collecting at 62 or 63 ?>>

The SSA can answer this question for you. I believe, though, that as a divorced spouse who qualifies to draw on the former spouse's record, then your benefit would be based on that he would have received at full retirement age had he waited to do so. To be sure, you should ask the SSA.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us