The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlt-approximately-5-yrs-ago-my-father-12288819.aspx

Subject:  Re: Taxes on Sale of Property Date:  3/27/2000  9:30 PM
Author:  TMFExRO Number:  32735 of 120806

<< Approximately 5 yrs ago my father transferred ownership of his home to my brother and I. He is elderly and not in good health and we anticipate that he may have to leave the residence at some point in the near future due to his health, at which time the property would more than likely be sold. Can anyone advise what the tax implications of the sale would be, whether taxes can be avoided, etc. >>

Short answer: When you sell the property the difference between your net sale price and your father's basis will be a long-term capital gain to you and your brother.

Long answer: So much depends on information you haven't provided, e.g. value of the house, total assets, and long-term care insurance for starters. I would suggest you sit down with a lwayer who specializes in issues of the elderly, who can call in tax assistance if necessary.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us