The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unfettered-passion-doesnt-need-a-formal-12302855.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ten Mental Exercises Leading To Freedom Date:  3/29/2000  6:10 PM
Author:  hocus Number:  7131 of 745964

Unfettered passion doesn't need a formal education.

Welcome to the journalism world, my friend. I'll place my bets on unfettered passion over formal education anyday. In fact, the journalism was better when the only "education" a reporter received was a lecture on the closing hours of all the bars in the neighborhood of the newsroom.

You might want to check out an article in the Washington Times today which reports on a study finding that "the nation's media are out of touch with the average American because they live in expensive neighborhoods or have atypical lifestyles." The author of the study states that "what struck me was how much people disliked the news media and felt it condescended to their views and lifestyles."

By avoiding journalism school, you might stay out of the traps that have made many reporters think they are so much better than the people reading their words. There's not much need for more words, in my view. There's a lot of need for more passion for the truth, though.

This is why I argued in an earlier post that, if 50 percent of the population turned in their resignations on Monday morning, that week the United States would experience its greatest productivity ever.

People who work at what they love work hard and those who aren't working for pay have little patience for power games. They produce whether the boss is watching or not because the "boss" is the vision inside their heads that they are trying to make a reality.

In a sense, everyone who retires early becomes an entrepreneur. Some produce friendships at the golf course. Some offer family counseling services from the steps of the front porch. Some create beautiful gardens. Some write. Some make pottery. Some poetize.

God created many varieties of birds to inhabit the earth.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us