The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

Subject:  Re: Where to live? Date:  3/30/2000  6:05 PM
Author:  BigLon Number:  3316 of 20060

The present exchange rate is 50 cents US to the New Zealand dollar. In the 9 years that I have been going to NZ it has never been higher than 64 cents US to the NZ dollar.
Gasoline is more expensive than in the US at $2.00 per gallon, but just about everything else is less. You can rent a furnished three bedroom two bath townhouse or home for $500 to $600 per month in an excellent location. This is in the South Island. North Island is higher. Other examples: Pork-----$1.10 lb---eggs---$.75 per dozen-----bannanas----$.75 dozen----whole frozen chicken---$2.00-------bread-----$.75 loaf----
current movie-----$4.00----- I have converted all the foregoing to US dollars and converted litres and kilos where appropriate.
Current movie costs $4.00-----The medical care is excellent and quite affordable even if one had to pay out of their own pocket. There is a 12.5 % GST on EVERYHING and all goods and services include the GST.
There is NO TIPPING in NZ and a full course meal including wine at a top eatery would be about $30 for two. I avoid NZ income taxes by staying only six months, November to May (spring through summer). The following web site is quite good for those interested in learning more about NZ.

BigLon in NZ

Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us