The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/finally-however-comes-my-biggest-problem-with-12370206.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ten Mental Exercises Leading To Freedom Date:  4/9/2000  6:51 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  7672 of 736964

Finally, however, comes my biggest problem with your post. Your example that by saving $8,000 annually, your retirement savings must be less leads me to ask you one major question: why are you retiring early in the first place?

I would argue that the only reason to retire early is to do something with your time -- in many cases that means additional travel to see relatives or new places, the pursuit of hobbies, or at least the right to relax and not have to cook every single meal.

Man, I can see you have never had the egotistical nitwits for bosses I've had all my life! Like, "move that pile of bricks from there over to there." The only reason for retiring is to do something with your time? How about not having to drive in rush hour traffic to work every day? How about not having to get out of bed until you feel like it? How about not having to deal with nitwit Veterinarians who thinks it's their soul purpose in life to make technicians lives miserable? I've never had a job I liked. I'm lazy and I know it. Luckily I started putting money away in a tax deferred annuity at an early age for early retirement.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us